Welcome

It’s December 2006, folks.

Another twelve months of music. And we are back here again: the annual list, studiously compiled, of my favourite twenty albums of the year. First, I should apologise for not changing the format of this page that much from last year – same dull background, same font etc etc (a few quick changes of colour fools nobody...). I’m afraid that this is just due to the fact that I have been quite busy of late, and it saves soooo much time in doing this if you just cut and paste everything from last time. Tough luck, folks, I might try to put more effort in next year…

In a similar vein, I’m not going to go through all of the rules and stuff in the detail I did last year – it’s silly for me to write it out again or even cut and paste it: if you want to see that stuff, just go here, and read it from the 2005 version. The basic point is that what follows is a list of my top twenty full length studio albums released during 2006, in ascending order. The side bar will let you navigate specific choices. There are some other bits at the end of the main list, like near misses, turkeys and ineligible albums (this year all of these are ineligible simply by virtue of being released before 2006; I just bought them in 2006 and wanted to highlight them). There is also a short round up at the end. Dip in to as little or as much as you wish. I didn’t get around to doing top films or gigs this year, sorry (though virtually all the gigs I have been to this year, I’ve reviewed on my main page, and film of the year was easily Superman Returns).

One final thing I want to say before we start: 2006 has been an awesome year for albums, in my view. I had far more trouble than usual preparing this list, and there have been far more genuine contenders. As you read through, you’ll find time and again that I’ll be saying, ‘this should really be higher, it’s amazing, but the standard is so high’. Indeed, when I think of some of the great albums that didn’t even make my ‘near misses’ list, it makes me wonder.

Right, let’s get on with it, shall we…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home